Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites

New Hampshire Voter Registration Information

Friday, December 9, 2011

Primary Election
September 11, 2012

Primary Election Voter Registration Deadline

September 4, 2012

General Election

November 6, 2012

General Election Voter Registration Deadline

October 27, 2012

Voter Registration and Eligibility
Can register with the town or city clerk up to 10 days before any election.
Can register on Election Day at the polling place.

Voters can register as a member of a political party or as an undeclared voter.
For primary elections, those registered as undeclared voters must choose a party when accepting a ballot. The law allows undeclared voter to declare a party at the polls, vote the ballot of that party, and then change their party affiliation back to undeclared simply by completing the form available from the Supervisors of the Checklist at the polling place.


To register to vote in the State of New Hampshire, an individual must meet the following qualifications:

  • Be at least 18 years of age or older on Election Day
  • Be a United States citizen

There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register.


How to Register to Vote:
Apply to your town or City Clerk's office (contact information).You will be required to fill out a standard application form.

Register with your community's Supervisors of the Checklist. By law they are required to meet on the Saturday, 10 days prior to each election. Check the local newspaper(s) or call your clerk's office for the date and time of such meeting.

Qualified individuals may also register to vote at the polling place on Election Day at all elections. You must fill out an Election Day affidavit and may be asked to show proof of age, citizenship, and domicile.
If unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. Request an absentee voter registration affidavit and a standard voter registration form from your town/city clerk. The absentee voter registration affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration form are to be returned to your town/city clerk.

For information about voting as a college student in New Hampshire, click here.


Who Can Absentee Vote in New Hampshire?

Any person who meets one of the following criteria may vote absentee:

  • Voter is absent on the day of any state election from the city, town or unincorporated place in which he/she is registered to vote
  • Voter cannot appear in public on any Election Day because of the observance of a religious commitment
  • Voter is unable to vote in person by reason of physical disability
  • Voter is unable to vote in person by reason of military service

 How Can I Acquire an Absentee Ballot?

Absentee ballots are available from your town or city clerk 30 days prior to an election. Request an absentee ballot application from the clerk (contact information) or submit a request in writing which should include your name, voting address, mailing address and your signature.

Applications can be returned in person, by mail, or by fax to a town or city clerk.

Additional Information for Overseas Voters

How do I Return the Absentee Ballot and What is the Deadline?

Clerks may accept completed absentee ballots submitted in person until 5 p.m. the day before an election or until 5 p.m. on Election Day if received through the mail.

Source of information:
New Hampshire Elections Division/Administration
State House, Room 204
Concord, NH 03301
Phone: 603-271-3242
Fax: 603-271-6316
E-mail: elections@sos.state.nh.us






New Hampshire New Hampshire

More Like This From Around The NRA


Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the "lobbying" arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.