Contact Your State Senator TODAY in Support of Senate Bill 286
Last week, Senate Bill 286 passed in the Senate Judiciary Committee by a bipartisan 7 to 1 vote. This NRA-supported pro-gun bill could be considered on the Senate floor as early as Thursday, March 21. Please contact your state Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to support SB 286, along with any pro-gun amendments proposed by the bill sponsor or cosponsors. Contact information for your state Senator can be found here.
SB 286, sponsored by state Senators Scott Beason (R-17) and Roger Bedford (D-6), seeks to restore and protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in Alabama by addressing the following issues:
- No employer may prohibit the otherwise lawful possession, transportation or storage of firearms or ammunition that is kept out of sight within a locked or attended private vehicle of an invitee who is otherwise permitted to operate or park that vehicle on the property. This would allow employees to carry a firearm during their commute to and from work.
- Repeals the requirement to obtain a pistol permit in order to carry a pistol in a vehicle. (Note: this would not allow for concealed carrying in a vehicle unless a valid pistol permit is possessed.)
- Shifts the current “May Issue” concealed carry permit system to a “Shall Issue” permit system and requires that a sheriff must issue the carry permit within thirty days. Should someone be denied a permit, a written denial must be provided and that applicant would have an opportunity to appear before an appeal panel.
- A permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be good for one to five years (to be decided by the applicant seeking the carry permit).
- Requires sheriffs to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to conduct a background check on concealed pistol permit applicants.
- Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama.
- Strengthens Alabama’s firearms preemption statute by reserving for the state legislature complete control over regulation and policy relating to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation is applied uniformly throughout the state.
It is critical that you make your voice heard! Please contact your state Senator TODAY and ask him or her to support SB 286.