On Monday, March 4, the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee and Senate Judiciary Committee will hear several anti-gun bills at 10:30 am. If passed and enacted into law, these bills will stand as the most sweeping and extreme package of Second Amendment-infringing legislation in Colorado history.
Four of these bills have already passed in the House, making Monday the last opportunity for steadfast supporters of the Second Amendment to make their voice heard in person and passionately testify against the following bills:
House Bill 1224 – Bans magazines with a capacity greater than 15 rounds. (Passed by a 34-31 vote in the House)
House Bill 1226 – Repeals current law allowing individuals with a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense on a college or university campus. (Passed by a 34-31 vote in the House)
House Bill 1228 – Imposes a “gun tax” for a background check when purchasing a firearm. (Passed by a 33-32 vote in the House)
House Bill 1229 – Criminalizes the private transfer of a firearm. (Passed by a 36-29 vote in the House)
Senate Bill 196, sponsored by Senate President John Morse (D-11), would hold all manufacturers, distributors and owners of any semi-automatic or pump-action rifle that they may produce, sell or use, liable if that gun is misused to harm another person. This bill makes no distinction between rifles such as a Ruger 10/22 rim-fire rifle or a Remington 760 Gamemaster, both widely popular for target shooters and hunters alike. SB 196 is a direct violation of the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, and is a backdoor to banning legal firearms!
Details for testifying on Monday, March 4:
- At 10:30, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hear the following bills in the Old Supreme Court Chamber (Room 220) of the state Capitol:
HB 1224 and SB 196
- Also at 10:30, the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee will hear the following bills in Senate Committee Room 356 on the third floor of the state Capitol:
HB 1229, HB 1228, and HB 1226
- Please make plans to arrive at the state Capitol in Denver no later than 9:45.
- Once you arrive, please make your way to the respective committee rooms so you can sign up to testify in opposition to these measures. You will be assigned a number indicating the order you will be able to testify. This will allow all interested parties the opportunity to testify before both committees.
- Please note, you will be limited to three minutes of testimony in each committee to address all of the bills.
As gun owners, sportsmen and supporters of the Second Amendment, we need you to show up Monday, March 4th to testify against HB 1224, HB 1226, HB 1228, HB 1229 and SB 196. Without your active help next week, anti-gun legislators will steal away your Second Amendment rights! For more information about testifying at the state Capitol, please click here.
If you are unable to attend these important public hearings, it is imperative that you contact the state senators listed below TODAY and express your opposition to these anti-gun measures.
Please call, e-mail, and use social media to contact the state senators below, as they will cast the deciding votes and play a vital role in determining whether or not these unconstitutional measures pass next week. Hold these legislators accountable by asking how they plan to vote on this legislation. Their contact information is provided below:
|Senator John Morse (D-11)|
|Senator Cheri Jahn (D-20)|
|Senator Gail Schwartz (D- 5)|
|Senator Andy Kerr (D-22)|
|Senator Jeanne Nicholson (D- 16)|
|Phone: 303-866-4873||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org and your email inbox for further updates.