Presidential Primary Election
June 5, 2012
Presidential Primary Registration Deadline
May 21, 2012
June 5, 2012
Primary Election Voter Registration Deadline
May 21, 2012
November 6, 2012
General Election Voter Registration Deadline
October 22, 2012
Voter Registration and Eligibility
Are You Already Registered to Vote?
To find out if you are currently registered to vote, visit the Secretary of State's Voter Registration page. If you are not registered to vote, you can follow the simple steps below.
To register to vote in California, you must be:
- A United States citizen,
- A resident of California,
- 18 years of age or older on Election Day,
- Not in prison or in county jail (serving a state prison sentence or serving a term of more than one year in jail for a defined "low-level" felony), or on parole, post release community supervision, or post-sentencing probation for a felony conviction (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State's Voting Guide for Currently or Formerly Incarcerated Californians)
- Not found by a court to be mentally incompetent.
How You Can Register to Vote
Fill Out A Voter Registration Form Now
Simply step through the screens and fill in the information requested on the form. Then print it, sign it, and mail it directly to the county elections office address that is pre-printed on the form. If you have any questions, to contact the Elections Division click here or call (800) 345-8683.
New Voter Assistance
For a voter registration form in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese, visit the Secretary of State's New Voters web page.
Pick Up A Voter Registration Form
You can pick up a voter registration form at your county elections office, library, or U.S. Post Office. It is important that your voter registration form be filled out completely and be postmarked or hand-delivered to your county elections office at least 15 days before the election.
Military and Overseas Voters
Includes United States Citizens who are members of the Uniformed Services (on active duty) and their eligible dependents, members of the Merchant Marine and their eligible dependents, Commissioner Corps of the Public Health Service, Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or United States citizens residing outside the United States.
When to Re-Register to Vote
- You move to a new permanent residence
- You change your name
- You change your political party choice
- As a California voter, you should be aware that in some areas, local elections are held on dates that do not coincide with statewide election dates. The 15-day close of registration deadline for these local elections varies depending on the actual date of the election. If you need to know a deadline for a local election, contact your county elections office.
In California, the deadline to register to vote for an election is 15 days before each local and statewide Election Day, so please register early!
California Secretary of State
1500 11th Street, 5th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: (916) 653-3214
For additional assistance with voter registration, please contact the Secretary of State's office at the following toll-free numbers:
English: (800) 345-8683
Chinese: (800) 339-2857
Japanese: (800) 339-2865
Korean: (866) 575-1558
Spanish: (800) 232-8682
Tagalog: (800) 339-2957
Vietnamese: (800) 339-8163
PROTECT YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS
BY EXERCISING YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE!