State Representative Cedric Richmond (D-New Orleans) has introduced a package of anti-gun bills in the Louisiana Legislature that represent an unprecedented attack on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen. Among the bills filed prior to the legislative session even beginning:
- House Bill 241 requires the creation of a "ballistic imaging" database of bullets and shell casings fired from every handgun sold in the state;
- House Bill 243 requires all privately-owned handguns to be registered with the state after purchase;
- House Bill 244 is a Louisiana-version of the Clinton gun ban, but more expansive in terms of the number of guns falling under the ban and additional requirements that current owners of those firearms register them with the state and obtain a license to lawfully keep them; and
- House Bill 245 bans private firearms transfers at gun shows.
The Legislature begins its 2004 regular session on Monday, March 29. All these measures have been referred to the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee. The committee meets every WEDNESDAY and will likely hold a hearing on these measures in late April or early May.
But the time to start working against these bills is NOW, before they gain momentum!
Here are THREE IMPORTANT STEPS you can take to help beat back these attacks against our rights:
- Call AND email the State Representatives who serve on the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee and urge them to OPPOSE these bills. Members of the committee and their contact information is listed below.
* Committee members can be reached during the work week by calling the State Capitol at (225) 342-6945 beginning Monday, March 29 *
Chairman Danny Martiny (R-Metairie)
Rep. Alex Heaton (D-New Orleans)
Rep. Damon Baldone (D-Houma)
Rep. Beverly Bruce (D-Mansfield)
Rep. Roy Burrell (D-Shreveport)
Rep. Donald Cazayoux (D-New Roads)
Rep. Eric LaFleur (D-Ville Platte)
Rep. Art Morrell (D-New Orleans)
Rep. Errol "Romo" Romero (D-New Iberia)
Speaker Joe Salter (D-Florien)
Rep. Sharon Weston Broome
Mack "Bodi" White (R-Denham Springs)
(no e-mail available)
Rep. Ernest Wooton (D-Belle Chasse)
- Contact NRA-ILA Louisiana State Liaison Tara Reilly Mica at email@example.com if you wish to testify as an impact witness before the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee when a hearing is scheduled on any of these bills (please specify which measure you are interested in testifying against and your area of interest and/or expertise.)
- Forward this legislative alert to at least FIVE fellow gun owners, sportsmen and Second Amendment supporters. Ask them to visit www.nraila.org and sign up to receive FREE email alerts in the future from NRA-ILA that will update you on the status of this legislation in the State of Louisiana.
Thank you for your support! You may view copies of any of these bills at http://www.legis.state.la.us