All Second Amendment supporters are encouraged to attend Second Amendment Day at the Iowa State Capitol tomorrow, March 7. Second Amendment advocates will have the opportunity to meet with legislators and other pro-gun Iowans, in addition to watching the floor proceedings as the House of Representatives consider House File 517, the omnibus bill which would make many pro-gun reforms for Iowa gun owners. Further details can be found below. Also, please click the “Take Action” button below to contact your state Representative and urge them to SUPPORT HF 517!
Second Amendment Day
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Iowa State Capitol
1007 E. Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319
10:00am-10:45am: Presentation and Speakers, Room 102
10:45am-12:00pm: Lobby Time
12:00pm: House of Representatives vote on HF 517
HF 517 covers a diverse range of important issues for gun owners. Included in HF 517 are the following pro-gun reforms:
- Stand Your Ground – Under HF 517 a law-abiding citizen would have no duty to retreat from any place where the person is lawfully present before using force to defend themselves.
- 4th Amendment protections in regards to “going armed with intent” – HF 517 clarifies that the intent element for the crime of “going armed with a dangerous weapon with intent to use it without justification,” a Class D felony under state law, cannot be presumed or inferred from the mere carrying or concealment of a firearm on or about the person or in a vehicle.
- Capitol Carry – Prevents the Director of the Department of Administrative Services from prohibiting the otherwise lawful carrying, transportation, or possession of any handgun in or on any capitol buildings.
- Restricting State of Emergency Powers – Prevents the Governor, any state official, an official of any political subdivision acting at the direction of the Governor, and other officials from exercising powers during a proclaimed state of emergency to prohibit, regulate, or curtail the otherwise lawful possession, carrying, transportation, transfer or defensive use of firearms or ammunition, or to seize or confiscate legally possessed firearms and ammunition.
- Youth Shooting and Parental Rights – HF 517 would give Iowa youth the ability to learn handgun safety only “under the direct supervision” of a parent or other specified responsible, authorized adult in a safe and responsible way.
- Permit Privacy – The bill restricts the use and disclosure of information acquired about holders of nonprofessional permits to carry weapons and permits to acquire firearms. The Commissioner of Public Safety and any issuing officer (County Sheriff) would be required to keep confidential all personally identifiable information about such individuals, except for expressly authorized disclosures.
- Numerous additional changes to the laws regarding concealed carry and the permitting process.
Please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org for further updates on this bill as it advances through the Iowa Legislature.