The Bureau of Land Management is intending to amend its management plan for Eastern Lake Mountains to address target shooting. Nine hundred acres of public land is closed to target shooting under a temporary order. The BLM is offering three options in its plan amendment. They are as follows:
Alternative A (No Action): Allow the current 900 acre temporary closure to lapse and implement no other target shooting restrictions.
Alternative B: Make the current 900 acre temporary closure permanent.
Alternative C: Expand the current closure and/or implement other target shooting restrictions.
The BM will be hosting 2 public meetings that will follow an “open house” format. A public hearing will not be held. A court reporter will be available for individuals to make oral statements to be included in the record. At the open houses, preliminary information and maps about the plan amendment will be available for review. BLM staff will be present to answer questions. The open houses will be held in:
- Saratoga Springs August 4, 2015 Tuesday 6 pm – 8 pm
Location: Talons Cove Golf Club – Reception Room
2220 South Talons Cove Drive, Saratoga Springs UT 84045
- Sandy August 5, 2015 Wednesday 6 pm – 8 pm
Location: Hilton Garden Inn, Sandy – Ballroom
277 West Sego Lily Drive, Sandy UT 84070
Public comments will be accepted until August 20th. Click here to viewcomments from the NRA and several other national sportsmen’s organizations submitted to the BLM.
Scoping comments may be submitted by any of the following methods. Please indicate “Eastern Lake Mountains Target Shooting Plan Amendment” in the subject or title.
- ePlanning web site:https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office/eplanning/nepa/nepa_register.do Navigate via the “Map Search” or click on “Text Search” and navigate via Utah>Salt Lake Field Office>EA>Eastern Lake Mountains Target Shooting Plan Amendment.
- ENBB web site: https://www.blm.gov/ut/enbb/index.php (sort by Salt Lake Field Office>Environmental Assessment and then scroll down to the project)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (801) 977-4397 Attn: JuLee Pallette
- Mail: BLM Salt Lake Field Office, Attn: JuLee Pallette, Outdoor Recreation Planner, at the address shown in the letterhead
- Attend a public scoping meeting on August 4 or 5
Based on public comment, a plan amendment will be drafted and is expected to be released for another round ofpublic comments in several months.