The Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee could vote on a plethora of anti-gun measures as early as Monday, April 29. Click here to see a complete schedule of bills that will be considered by this committee next week.
A few of the most onerous proposals include:
- LD 267 burdens law-abiding citizens by mandating background investigations for all firearm transfers performed by occasional sellers at gun shows.
- LD 380 repeals important provisions necessary to protect your inherent right to self-defense.
- LD 997 bans standard capacity magazines.
- LD 265 repeals an important employee protection measure enacted in 2011, which prohibits an employer from banning an employee with a valid Permit to Carry Concealed Firearms from keeping a firearm in the employee's vehicle as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.
- LD 1173 repeals an important self-defense measure that allows individuals who have obtained a Concealed Handgun Permit to carry a firearm in state parks and historic sites.
- LD 724 mandates the destruction of firearms used in certain crimes. This prevents law enforcement agencies from selling these firearms to licensed dealers in exchange for money, new equipment or ammunition—something that would help agencies when budgets are strained.
This may be the last opportunity to stop this misguided gun control legislation from going to the floor for a vote. Please call AND e-mail members of the Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee to respectfully express your opposition to this legislation, and hold them accountable by asking how they plan to vote on these measures. See the list below to identify committee members and to view their contact information.
Representative Mark N. Dion (D-Portland), Chairman
Home Telephone: (207) 797-6341
Representative Michel A. Lajoie (D-Lewiston)
Home Telephone: (207) 783-1927
Cell Phone: (207) 713-7119
Representative Bryan T. Kaenrath (D-South Portland)
Home Telephone: (207) 409-7137
Cell Phone: (207) 409-7137
Representative Alan M. Casavant (D-Biddeford)
Home Telephone: (207) 284-4690
Representative Timothy I. Marks (D-Pittston)
Home Telephone: (207) 582-6798
Cell Phone: (207) 592-3208
Representative Joshua R. Plante (D-Berwick)
Cell Phone: (603) 978-2788
Representative Ricky D. Long (R-Sherman)
Home Telephone: (207) 365-4704
Cell Phone: (207) 267-1828
Representative Thomas M. Tyler (R-Windham)
Home Telephone: (207) 892-9760
Representative Jethro D. Pease (R-Morrill)
Home Telephone: (207) 342-5910
Representative Corey S. Wilson (R-Augusta)
Cell Phone: (207) 469-5295