Please Contact the House Judiciary Committee Today!
On Thursday, February 7, four pro-gun bills were introduced in the Maryland House of Delegates. Three of these bills are “Castle Doctrine” bills that provide immunity from prosecution and civil liability to law-abiding citizens who exercise their right of self-defense. The fourth requires the Secretary of Police to refund the application fee for a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun to an applicant whose application is denied. The legislature is finally starting to take notice that Marylanders are tired of being treated as second-class citizens to the criminals on the streets.
House Bill 1060, sponsored by State Delegate William Frank (R-42), would protect a law-abiding citizen from being liable for damages for a personal injury or death of an individual who enters his or her home or place of business with the intent to commit a crime.
State Delegate Frank Conaway (D-40) is championing two self-defense bills, House Bill 1071 and House Bill 1075. HB1071 establishes that law-abiding citizens are justified in using deadly force against intruders into their home when there is reasonable belief that the intruder intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the unlawful entry. HB1075 expands the provisions of HB1071 allowing use of deadly force in a place of business.
Finally, House Bill 1061, also introduced by State Delegate William Frank (R-42), requires the Secretary of Police to refund the application fee for a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun to an applicant whose application is denied. Because Maryland is a “may-issue” state, the police are not required to give law-abiding citizens a permit to carry, yet under current law people are not allowed to recover their denied application fees.
All of these bills have been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. HB1060 will receive a hearing on Wednesday, March 5 at 1:00 pm. HB1071 and HB1075 are both scheduled for Tuesday, March 4 at 1:00 pm. HB1061 will be heard on Tuesday, March 11 at 1:00 pm.
Please contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to support all of these important bills that expand your right to defend yourself and not be penalized for simply applying for a Right-to-Carry permit.
House Judiciary Committee:
State Delegate Joseph F. Vallario, Jr. (D-27A), Chair
(410) 841-3488, (301) 858-3488, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3488 (toll free)
State Delegate Samuel I. Rosenberg (D-41), Vice Chair
(410) 841-3297, (301) 858-3297, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3297 (toll free)
State Delegate Curt Anderson (D-43)
(410) 841-3291, (301) 858-3291, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3291 (toll free)
State Delegate Ben Barnes (D-21)
(410) 841-3046, (301) 858-3046, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3046 (toll free)
State Delegate Jill P. Carter (D-41)
(410) 841-3283, (301) 858-3283, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3283 (toll free)
State Delegate Frank M. Conaway, Jr. (D-40)
(410) 841-3189, (301) 858-3189, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3189 (toll free)
State Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais (D-15)
(410) 841-3052, (301) 858-3052, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3052 (toll free)
State Delegate Donald H. Dwyer, Jr. (R-31)
(410) 841-3047, (301) 858-3047, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3047 (toll free)
State Delegate William J. Frank (R-42)
(410) 841-3793, (301) 858-3793, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3793 (toll free)
State Delegate Kevin Kelly (D-1B)
(410) 841-3404, (301) 858-3404, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3404 (toll free)
State Delegate Benjamin F. Kramer (D-19)
(410) 841-3485, (301) 858-3485, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3485 (toll free)
State Delegate Susan C. Lee (D-16)
(410) 841-3649, (301) 858-3649, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3649 (toll free)
State Delegate Gerron S. Levi (D-23A)
(410) 841-3101, (301) 858-3101, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3101 (toll free)
State Delegate Susan K. McComas (R-35B)
(410) 841-3272, (301) 858-3272, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3272 (toll free)
State Delegate Tony McConkey (R-33A)
(410) 841-3406, (301) 858-3406, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3406 (toll free)
State Delegate Victor R. Ramirez (D-47)
(410) 841-3340, (301) 858-3340, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3340 (toll free)
State Delegate Todd Schuler (D-8)
(410) 841-3526, (301) 848-3526, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3526 (toll free)
State Delegate Christopher B. Shank (R-2B)
(410) 841-3636, (301) 858-3636, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3636 (toll free)
State Delegate Luiz R. S. Simmons (D-17)
(410) 841-3037, (301) 858-3037, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3037 (toll free)
State Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr. (R-36)
(410) 841-3555, (301) 858-3555, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3555 (toll free)
State Delegate Kriselda Valderrama (D-26)
(410) 841-3210, (301) 858-3210, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3210 (toll free)
State Delegate Jeff Waldstreicher (D-18)
(410) 841-3130, (301) 858-3130, 1-800-492-7122, ext. 3130 (toll free)