Congress is currently on its Summer District Work Period and will be out of session until September 5. During this time, your Senators and Representative will be back home in their respective states and districts.
Many lawmakers use this time to hold town hall meetings, where they can report on what they’ve been doing in Washington, and take questions from their constituents. These meetings offer a tremendous opportunity for you to personally voice your strong support for a number of pro-gun bills pending in Congress.
Please contact your lawmakers’ district offices and ask when they plan to hold their town hall meetings during the break. If you do not know the number for your lawmakers’ district offices, you can use the “Write Your Representatives” tool at www.NRAILA.org, or call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.
If you get a chance to meet with your lawmakers, please urge them to cosponsor and support the following measures, and to bring these bills up as soon as possible when they return to Washington:
• H.R. 5092-Improves BATFE’s process for punishing the few FFLs who violate the law, and establishes guidelines for BATFE investigations. This bill was drafted in large part to address recent BATFE abuses at Richmond, VA-area gun shows highlighted in hearings before the U.S. House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.
• H.R. 5005-Codifies congressional policies, rolls back restrictions, and corrects errors in federal firearm laws.
• H.R. 1384-Removes several antiquated and unnecessary restrictions imposed on interstate firearms business since 1968.
• H.R. 1288/S. 1082-Repeals the draconian D.C. gun ban and restores the right of lawful District residents to own firearms to defend themselves and their families.
• H.R. 4547/S. 3275-Allows any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if he or she meets certain criteria. Importantly, the laws of each state governing where concealed firearms may be carried would still apply within its borders.
In addition to attending town hall meetings and speaking out in support of our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, please forward the dates, times, and locations of any town hall meetings to your family, friends, and fellow firearm owners, and to the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division, so we may compile this information and share it with the pro-gun community. Please forward this information to the Grassroots Division by calling (800) 392-8683, by faxing to (703) 267-3918, or by sending an e-mail to [email protected]. Also, please take advantage of this recess to try and schedule personal meetings with your lawmakers and/or their staff in their district offices to discuss these issues.
For tips on effectively communicating at town hall meetings, please go to the “Write Your Representatives” feature at www.NRAILA.org and click “Communication With Your Lawmakers.”