Today, the Illinois General Assembly convenes for the lame duck session. It is possible that they will consider legislation to disarm law-abiding Illinois residents. House Bill 5855 bans many commonly-owned firearms that are popular for self-defense, competition, and recreation.
- Bans the sale and possession of semi-automatic, centerfire, magazine-fed rifles. This includes all AR/AK pattern rifles and pistols. HB 5855 also includes a provision requiring the registration of existing banned rifles.
- Bans magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
- Bans adults aged 18 to 20 years old from obtaining a state Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.
- Bans .50 BMG rifles and ammunition.
- Expands the duration of the state's “red flag” firearm restraining order by increasing it from 6 to 12 months.
- Severely restricts hunting for anyone under the age of 21.
Please contact your lawmakers and ask them to OPPOSE HB 5855.