On June 5, the Oregon Senate will hold a concurrence vote on anti-gun legislation, Senate Bill 554. Following its questionable advancement and amendments with little to no time for public input, it is imperative that NRA Members and Second Amendment supporters contact their State Senator and ask them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 554.
Senate Bill 554 affects law abiding gun owners in Oregon by:
- Allowing Oregon’s more than 1,224 school district boards to prohibit Concealed Handgun License Holders (CHL) on their grounds
- Allows the State Capitol and airports to prohibit CHL holders
- Mandates one-size-fits-all firearms storage within your home and vehicle
- DOUBLES CHL application fees and increases renewal fees by 50%
- Potential felony prosecution and loss of your firearm rights for violations
As originally drafted, SB 554 gutted Oregon’s Preemption law by handing authority over to any municipality, to dictate firearms laws in any public building. For more information on how the measure was amended behind the scenes, see our previous alert here.
Again, it is extremely important that you contact your State Senator and ask them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 554.