Earlier this year in March, we provided information regarding the use of Non-REAL-IDs for firearm purchases.
Today, Tuesday, November 20, Attorney General Becerra issued a consumer alert regarding the Use of “Federal Limits Apply” Driver Licenses and IDs to purchase firearms.
This consumer alert advises: Firearm Dealers may require additional documentation to prove lawful residency in the United State in the event that a “federal limits apply” identification card or drivers license is being utilized for the acquisition of a firearm. This is due to recent law revisions and the advice of the California Department of Justice to Firearms Dealers to consider requiring the additional documentation. Be sure to check with your firearms dealer ahead of time to avoid any unforeseen problems this holiday season. A firearms dealer may request one of the following documents to establish lawful residency:
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
- U.S. Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen
- Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form
- Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory
- Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card
Please continue to check your inbox and the California Stand and Fight web page for updates on issues impacting your Second Amendment rights and hunting heritage in California.