In January, NRA and CRPA’s attorneys filed a petition with the United States Supreme Court asking the Court to review the case of Peruta v. California, which seeks to confirm that the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense.
Last week, a number of important amicus curiae briefs were filed in support of Plaintiffs’ petition urging the Supreme Court to take the case. These critical briefs come from a number of diverse and influential sources, including state governors, prominent law enforcement officials and organizations, high-profile civil rights groups, and twenty-six states. Below are the groups and individuals who filed an amicus brief along with links to each brief:
- Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence
- National Rifle Association of America, Inc.
- The Governors of Texas, Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, South Carolina, and South Dakota
- The States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming
- Western States Sheriffs’ Association, California Reserve Peace Officers Association, International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association, Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund, Law Enforcement Action Network, Law Enforcement Alliance of America, and Sheriffs from 17 California counties
- New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc.; Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc.; Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc.; Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.; Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc.; and Gun Owners of California
The briefs are now being circulated to the Justices and their respective clerks. The Supreme Court should issue a decision soon as to whether it will hear the Peruta case. The NRA and CRPA thanks all of the groups and individuals who came together to support this important case.
For a summary of some of the many actions NRA and CRPA have taken on behalf of California gun owners, click here.
Help Us Help You
The NRA and CRPA and work together in California to fight for your rights in Sacramento, in the courts and in cities, counties and regulatory agencies throughout the state. You can support our pro-Second Amendment efforts in California by donating to Help Save California. All donations will be spent to specifically benefit California gun owners.