Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary II Committee TODAY and urge them to support HB 562!
As we reported earlier today, it appears that the North Carolina Senate is ready to move House Bill 562. This NRA-supported omnibus pro-gun reform bill was moved from the Senate Rules and Operations Committee to the Senate Judiciary II Committee today, and is now scheduled to be heard tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. in room 1124 LB. Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary II Committee TODAY and urge them to support passage of HB 562.
This legislation makes several important changes to North Carolina gun laws, including:
- Requiring the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm in a timely manner.
- Clarifying the exemption for keeping a firearm in a vehicle by a person with a valid Concealed Handgun Permit while the vehicle is on the property of a public school.
- Establishing an affirmative defense for an individual in certain situations where he or she uses a firearm on prohibited school property "in response to a threatening situation in which deadly force was justified..."
- Improving the existing Range Protection Law, which would help to protect established shooting ranges from new local ordinances designed to shut them down.
- Improving the issuing process and removing unnecessary disqualifiers for Concealed Handgun Permits (CHP).
- Lowering the penalty for carrying a firearm with a valid CHP on posted property from a misdemeanor to an infraction.
- Removing the prohibition on using a lawfully possessed short barreled rifle for hunting
- Strengthening North Carolina’s preemption statute.
Again, please contact members of the Senate Judiciary II Committee and encourage them to support HB 562.