Tomorrow, February 24, the North Dakota House of Representatives will take up the following two important pro-gun measures:
House Bill 1457: Sponsored by Representative Karen Karls (R-35), HB 1457 would require state agencies to sell off seized, abandoned or forfeited firearms at auction if the owner cannot be located or does not reclaim the firearm and it is in safe and operable condition.
Firearms are valuable tools that should be sold or disposed of for other uses upon the completion of an investigation, not destroyed. Other abandoned or forfeited assets such as motor vehicles are not destroyed once the state is finished with them, and firearms should be no different.
House Bill 1450: Sponsored by Representative Ben Koppelman (R-16), HB 1450 is a critical omnibus bill that will address the following Right to Carry issues:
- Clarifies what is considered legally unloaded for rifles and handguns.
- Recognizes the right to carry in stores that sell liquor.
- Defines the terms “public gathering” and “prohibited public places.”
- Recognizes the right to carry in public rest areas and restrooms.
- Clarifies when a handgun may be carried unloaded.
- Clarifies that class 1 and class 2 permits share the same rights within the state.
Please contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to support both House Bill 1457 and House Bill 1450.