Now contact your own state legislators
Yesterday, NRA members began contacting the Senate and Assembly Majority Leaders and have overwhelmed their offices with phone calls and e-mails! Your telephone calls are making a difference in New Jersey! It is important that you now redirect these calls from leadership to your own state Senator and Assemblymen. Remind them that law-abiding New Jersey gun owners are already subject to some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, and these laws have been proven ineffective at reducing crime. Tell them their constituents oppose further restrictions on their Second Amendment Rights, and urge your legislators to introduce reasonable legislation to rationally address existing crime problems and empower the law-abiding to protect themselves and loved ones. Don’t let anti-gun zealots in Trenton punish the law-abiding gun owner. Below is a list of some of the worst bills in play so far this session. While many other bad bills have been filed, your action is needed NOW to stop the most egregious among them:
- Assembly Bill 3664 sponsored by Representatives Joseph Cryan (D-20), Jason O’Donnell (D-31), and Mila Jasey (D-27) reduces lawful maximum capacity of certain ammunition magazines in New Jersey.
- Assembly Bill 3676 sponsored by Representative Angelica Jimenez (D-32) requires a psychological evaluation and in-home inspection as prerequisite to purchase firearm.
- Assembly Bill 3688 sponsored by Representatives Charles Mainor (D-31) and Angelica Jimenez (D-32) requires a mental health evaluation and list of household members with mental illness before one may purchase firearm.
- Senate Bill 2464 sponsored by Senator Shirley Turner (D-15) regulates the sale and transfer of rifle and shotgun ammunition.
- Assembly Bill 3659 sponsored by Representative Peter Barnes (D-18) Revises the definition of destructive device to include certain weapons of 50 caliber or greater.
- Assembly Bill 3666 sponsored by Representatives Joseph Cryan (D-20), Jason O’Donnell (D-31), and Mila Jasey (D-27), along with its companion, Senate Bill 2465, prohibits mail order, internet, telephone, and any other “anonymous method” of ammunition sale or transfer in New Jersey.
Your calls and e-mails are making a difference- but action is still needed to stop these bills and other ineffective measures from becoming law in New Jersey! Contact your state legislators beginning on Monday and urge them to oppose legislation that seeks to punish only the law-abiding gun owner and does nothing to stop crime. For more background, facts and information on these types of laws and how they do more harm than good, please visit http://www.gunbanfacts.com/.
Contact information for your state legislators can be located here.