STATEMENT FROM NRA CHIEF LOBBYIST CHRIS W. COX
Today’s “Sportsmen for Kaine” unveiling is just another attempt by Tim Kaine to hide his true gun control record. But this smoke and mirrors campaign isn’t going to fool Virginia’s gun owners and sportsmen. Kaine’s record and rhetoric don’t match.
Here are the facts about Tim Kaine and his true Second Amendment record:
· Tim Kaine supports shutting down gun shows. (debate 7/16/05)
· As Richmond mayor, Kaine used taxpayer money to send eight chartered buses to gun control rallies. (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 6/15/00) Also as mayor, he advocated suing lawful gun manufacturers for the actions of criminals. (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 3/14/99)
· As Richmond City Councilman, he advocated that Richmond should join with Fairfax and Norfolk to push for gun control laws. (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 8/26/97)
· In 2001, Sarah Brady’s gun ban group endorsed Kaine for Lt. Governor, saying that “Tim Kaine is the clear choice”. He earned an “F” from NRA.
· In his campaign this year, Tim Kaine deliberately misused comments made by former NRA President Charlton Heston to imply that Mr. Heston lauded him for reduced crime in Richmond. In reality, Heston was praising Project Exile, a program implemented before Tim Kaine became mayor.
It is shameful and dishonest deceive voters during this gubernatorial campaign. Anyone who supports shutting down gun shows and suing the gun industry out of existence is no friend of sportsmen.
If you value your Second Amendment rights and want to preserve Virginia’s strong hunting heritage, support Jerry Kilgore for Governor, the candidate who has proven to be an outspoken advocate for law-abiding firearms owners and sportsmen. Jerry Kilgore is a true leader who firmly believes in the Second Amendment.