Please contact your state Senator and urge them to pass HB 562 IMMEDIATELY!
The North Carolina House and Senate remain at an impasse on passing a new budget, which means it is unclear how much longer they will be in session this year. That also means it is unclear how much time is left for the Senate to take action on House Bill 562. As previously reported, this omnibus pro-gun bill contains multiple reforms that advance Second Amendment rights, including:
- Requiring the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm in a timely manner.
- Clarifying the exemption for keeping a firearm in a vehicle by a person with a valid Concealed Handgun Permit while the vehicle is on the property of a public school.
- Establishing an affirmative defense for an individual in certain situations where he or she uses a firearm on prohibited school property "in response to a threatening situation in which deadly force was justified..."
- Improving the existing Range Protection Law, which would help to protect established shooting ranges from new local ordinances designed to shut them down.
- Improving the issuing process and removing unnecessary disqualifiers for Concealed Handgun Permits (CHP).
- Lowering the penalty for carrying a firearm with a valid CHP on posted property from a misdemeanor to an infraction.
- Removing the prohibition on using a lawfully possessed short barreled rifle for hunting
- Strengthening North Carolina’s preemption statute.