Tomorrow’s hearing for House Bill 562 has been canceled, and a new date has not yet been scheduled. Thank you to those who planned to attend in person. Your NRA-ILA will alert you when a new hearing date has been set.
As previously reported, HB 562 is a comprehensive reform bill that would make a number of important pro-gun modifications. Although it was unfortunately amended in committee to remove certain pro-gun measures, HB 562 still has our support and is in critical need of yours as well. If passed, HB 562 would, among other things, do the following:
- Require the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm in a timely manner. This measure had been removed in a previous version, but has been added back to the bill.
- Clarify the exemption for keeping a firearm in a vehicle by a person with a valid Concealed Handgun Permit while the vehicle is on the property of a public school.
- Repeal the requirement that law-abiding citizens must obtain a permit from their local sheriff before acquiring a handgun. This measure had been removed in a previous version, but has been added back to the bill.
- Improve the existing Range Protection Law, which would help to protect shooting ranges from new local ordinances designed to shut them down.
- Improve the issuing process and remove unnecessary disqualifiers for Concealed Handgun Permits.
- Remove the prohibition on using a lawfully possessed short barreled rifle for hunting.
- Strengthen North Carolina’s preemption statute.
While a new hearing date for HB 562 has not yet been determined, please continue to contact your state Representative, especially if he or she is a member of the House Committee on Appropriations, and urge her or him to support HB 562 and to work with NRA to ensure passage of the strongest pro-gun package possible.