It is CRITICAL that you contact House Republican Leadership IMMEDIATELY and urge them bring up HB 562 before Thursday!
House Bill 562, the NRA-backed omnibus gun bill, is in danger of failing to make the crossover deadline because some legislators are failing to stand up for your rights as a law-abiding gun owner. It is critical that you contact House Republican Leadership IMMEDIATELY and urge them to work with NRA to ensure HB 562 is brought up for a vote before Thursday's crossover deadline passes.
As previously reported, HB 562 is a comprehensive reform bill that would make a number of important pro-gun modifications. Although it was unfortunately amended in committee to remove certain pro-gun measures, HB 562 still has our support and is in critical need of yours as well. If passed, HB 562 would do the following:
- Clarify the exemption for keeping a firearm in a vehicle by a person with a valid Concealed Handgun Permit while the vehicle is on the property of a public school.
- Improve the existing Range Protection Law, which would help to protect shooting ranges from new local ordinances designed to shut them down.
- Improve the issuing process and remove unnecessary disqualifiers for Concealed Handgun Permits.
- Improve and standardize the law regulating how businesses must post their property to prevent valid Concealed Handgun Permit holders from carrying their personal protection firearms onto that property.
- Remove the prohibition on using a lawfully possessed short barreled rifle for hunting.
- Prohibit doctors from asking questions about firearm ownership on any written questionnaire.
- Strengthen North Carolina’s preemption statute.
Please contact the following Representatives IMMEDIATELY and urge them to take up House Bill 562 before Thursday’s crossover deadline:
Speaker Tim Moore (R-111)
Rep. Paul Stam (R-37), Speaker Pro Tempore
Rep. Mike Hager (R-112), Majority Leader
Rep. Marilyn Avila (R-40), Deputy Majority Leader
Rep. John R. Bell, IV (R-10), Majority Whip
Rep. Dean Arp (R-69), Deputy Majority Whip
Rep. James L. Boles Jr. (R-52), Deputy Majority Whip