On Thursday, March 19, at 9:15 a.m., the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on several pro-gun bills, including House Bill 1457, House Bill 1241 and House Bill 1450.
House Bill 1457: Sponsored by state Representative Karen Karls (R-35), HB 1457 would require state agencies to sell off seized, abandoned or forfeited firearms at auction if the owner cannot be located or does not reclaim the firearm and it is in safe and operable condition.
Sponsored by state Representative Roscoe Streyle (R-3), HB 1241 is an omnibus bill that contains many pro-gun reforms, including:
- Expanding your right to carry in more public areas
- Requiring Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEOs) to sign off on documents needed to obtain items regulated under the National Firearms Act in a timely fashion
- Allowing hunters to utilize legally owned short-barreled rifles to take any game for which a rifle is allowed
Sponsored by state Representative Ben Koppelman (R-16), HB 1450 is an omnibus bill that will address the following Right to Carry issues:
- Recognizing the right to carry in public rest areas and restrooms
- Clarifying what is considered legally unloaded for rifles and handguns
- Recognizing the right to carry in stores that sell liquor
Please contact members of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee TODAY and urge them to support House Bill 1457, House Bill 1241 and House Bill 1450. Contact information is provided below.
Also, Last Friday, March 13, pro-hunting House Bill 1156 was signed into law by Governor Jack Dalrymple (R). It passed in the House of Representatives by a 90 to 2 vote on January 26, then passed in the state Senate by a 43 to 2 vote on March 6. Sponsored by state Representative Todd Porter (R-34), HB 1156 would create an option for applicants of the deer lottery license to donate the refund of an unsuccessful application to the Private Land Open to Sportsmen program. The Private Land Open to Sportsmen program provides incentives for landowners to allow public access for hunters. This important hunting measure will be in effect for the 2016 deer hunting season. Please thank Governor Dalrymple for signing this pro-hunting reform into law.
Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee:
Senator Donald Schaible (R-31), Chairman
Senator Jessica Unruh (R-33), Vice Chairman
Senator Kelly Armstrong (R-36)
Senator David Hogue (R-38)
Senator Lonnie Laffen (R-43)
Senator Philip Murphy (D-20)
Senator Connie Triplett (D-18)