Your Immediate Calls and E-mails Are Needed!
Your immediate help is needed to ensure that the most comprehensive pro-gun reform bill in recent state history passes the Georgia state Senate by THIS THURSDAY. Using the contact information provided below, please call AND e-mail Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle (R) AND your state Senator TODAY and politely ask that they vote to agree to House Bill 60. The 2014 legislative session ends this Thursday, and your calls and e-mails are critical to passage of HB 60, as amended.
As your NRA reported on Friday, HB 60 passed in the Georgia House of Representatives and has been returned to the state Senate for agreement. The language that was amended into HB 60 would be the most comprehensive pro-gun reform bill in recent state history.
As amended last week, HB 60 would do the following:
- Removal of fingerprinting for renewal of Weapons Carry Licenses (WCL).
- Prohibiting the state from creating and maintaining a database of WCL holders.
- Creation of an absolute defense for the legal use of deadly force in the face of a violent attack.
- Removal of the sweeping restrictions on legally carrying a firearm with a WCL in churches and bars, leaving this decision to private property owners.
- Lowering the age to obtain a concealed WCL for self-defense from 21 to 18 for active duty military, with specific training.
- Repealing the unnecessary and duplicative state-required license for a firearms dealer, instead requiring only a Federal Firearms License (FFL).
- Prohibiting a ban on firearms in public housing, ensuring that the right to self-defense should not be infringed based on where one calls home.
- Codifying the ability to legally carry, with a WCL, in sterile/non-secure areas of airports.
- Including a provision that would have the state report those persons who have been involuntarily hospitalized or have been adjudicated mentally deficient to the NICS system while also providing an ability for relief through an application process to the court system for the purpose of restoration of rights.
- Stating that under a declared state of emergency, all law-abiding gun owners will not have their Second Amendment rights restricted or infringed by executive authority through Emergency Powers protection.
- Strengthening current firearms preemption statutes through further clarification of the regulatory authority of local governments, excluding firearm discharge ordinances.
HB 60 is absolutely critical for the advancement of your Second Amendments rights as a law-abiding gun owner in Georgia. Please contact your state Senator TODAY and forward this alert to family, friends and other fellow gun owners and urge them to do the same.