Anti-gun Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley (D) released a statement yesterday that should alarm all law-abiding gun owners in the Old Line State. O'Malley announced that he will be pushing a broad gun control package through the Maryland General Assembly as soon as possible. His proposal is packed with attacks on your Second Amendment rights and hunting heritage that O’Malley claims are “common sense.” However, these anti-gun proposals have been tried in the past and have been resounding failures across the country. According to the Brady Campaign's national ranking of state gun control laws, Maryland is the seventh "best" (most restrictive) in the nation BEFORE this legislation is considered. O’Malley’s proposal ignores the fact that criminals simply do not obey gun bans, register their firearms or comply with any gun control schemes. As a result, only law-abiding citizens will comply and be left defenseless. O’Malley’s extremist gun control package would include the following:
- An across-the-board ban on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms
- Restrict magazine capacity to no more than ten rounds
- Require a state permit to purchase a firearm which would be obtained after prospective gun purchasers complete a mandatory gun safety class, submit their fingerprints to a state-run database, and undergo a state-funded background check
- Broaden the list of disqualifying mental health criteria and conditions
- Grant police additional authority to confiscate firearms
- Require an additional background check at the time of purchase
- Impose aseven-day waiting period before a purchaser can take possession of their firearm
O'Malley's proposed legislation over-reaches and misses the mark. It will do nothing to stop crime and will only penalize the law-abiding. While the legislation has yet to be introduced, one thing is for certain: Anti-gun politicians are attempting to offer up your constitutional rights as a sacrificial lamb because they WILL NOT focus on real solutions for the criminal acts of violence in Baltimore by gangs and drug dealers. The NRA-ILA will continue to send updates on this matter as details become available to us. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop all attempts to ban firearms and enact more ineffective and onerous gun control laws. Call and e-mail your state Senators and Delegates IMMEDIATELY and let your voice be heard on this matter.
Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here.