Recently, the NRA notified you about the opportunity to submit public comments online in support of this administrative rule change that would positively impact hunting in the Lone Star State. In addition to voicing your opinion on the hunting regulation proposals electronically by clicking here (and scrolling down to "Lawful Means,") you now also have the opportunity to weigh-in on this debate by personally attending one of the public meetings being held across the state seeking comment on the department's hunting regulation proposals.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Division public hearing calendar is below. Please make plans to come and voice your support for this common sense reform!
The NRA strongly supports the proposed rule changes which would allow for the use lawfully owned suppressors for hunting. There is an incredible amount of misinformation on what suppressors do and how they may be acquired. Suppressors are not "silencers," as depicted in typical Hollywood action films. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution. Currently, Texas law permits the use of lawfully-possessed suppressors for all other shooting activities, including the taking of nuisance species.
For more background on this topic, visit this link to a previous alert sent out to Texas NRA members.
For more information on firearm suppressors, click here.
TPWD Public Hearing Calendar
* * * All meetings are open to the public and begin at 7:00 p.m. ***
- Beaumont - Holiday Inn & Suites, 3950 I-10 South
- Denison - Center for Workplace Learning (Room #111), 6101 Grayson Drive
- Nacogdoches - Nacogdoches Co. Courthouse Annex, 203 West Main
- San Antonio - Lions Field Adult Center, 2809 Broadway
- Dickinson- TPWD Dickinson Lab, 1502 FM 517 East (Pine Drive)
- Fort Worth- Kennedale High School, Gymnasium, 901 Wildcat Way, Kennedale
- Marshall- Lions Community Center, 1201 Louisiana Street
- Port Isabel - Port Isabel Community Center, 213 Yturria
- Houston - Sheldon Lake State Park, Regional Headquarters Classroom, 14200 Garrett Road
- McKinney - Myers Park & Event Center, 7117 County Road 166
- New Boston- Bowie County Courthouse (2nd floor), 710 James Bowie Drive