Fairfax, VA— In a true testament to his anti-gun record, today John Kerry earned the endorsement from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (formerly Handgun Control, Inc.). For once, the Brady Campaign agrees with NRA – John Kerry would push for more gun control as President of the United States.
“If there was any doubt about John Kerry’s true position on the Second Amendment, his endorsement from the Brady Campaign should clear the air,” said Chris W. Cox, the National Rifle Association’s chief lobbyist. “John Kerry stands with other gun banners like Dianne Feinstein, Ted Kennedy, and Chuck Schumer -- each one commended by the Brady Campaign for their anti-gun records.
“It’s shameless and dishonest to spend your entire career voting against gun owners, then try to repackage yourself for a presidential bid,” added Cox. “A true hunter and sportsman would never seek and accept the endorsement of groups who advocate banning guns, banning ammunition, and licensing and registering law-abiding gun owners.”
The following are just a few of Kerry’s votes against America’s sportsmen and gun owners:
- voted to ban most center-fire rifle ammunition, including many common rounds used by hunters and target shooters (Vote No. 28, March 2, 2004).
- co-sponsor of legislation to ban all semi-automatic shotguns and detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles, a gigantic step toward bringing Australian-style gun control to the U.S. (Signed on as co-sponsor of S. 1431 on Nov. 21, 2003).
- voted to hold the highly regulated American firearms industry legally responsible for the illegal acts of violent criminals (Vote No. 24, March 2, 2004; Vote No. 25, March 2, 2004).
- Kerry says, "I think you ought to tax all ammunition, personally, I think you ought to tax guns.” (CNN "Late Edition," Nov. 7, 1993)
- Kerry has a 100% rating from gun-control groups and is called “a hero” by anti-hunting extremists like PETA.
“Kerry’s numerous anti-gun votes present a red flag for hunters and sportsmen, but this savvy voting bloc will not be fooled by election-year campaign tactics,” concluded Cox.
For a full list of John Kerry’s Second Amendment-related votes: