Kansas: Senate Committee to Hold Hearing on Right-to-Carry Reform Legislation

Posted on January 21, 2013


The Kansas Senate Committee on Federal and State Affairs will hold a hearing on Senate Bill 21 this Wednesday, January 23 at 10:30 a.m.  In addition to a number of technical changes, SB 21 would reform the state’s Right-to-Carry laws and strengthen the rights of Kansas’ law-abiding gun owners in several ways.

Please contact members of this committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB 21.  Contact information can be found below.

Members of the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee:

Senator Ralph Ostmeyer, Chairman
Phone:  785-296-7399
E-mail: Ralph.Ostmeyer@senate.ks.gov

Senator Jay Emler
Phone:  785-296-7354
E-mail:  Jay.Emler@senate.ks.gov

Senator Oletha Faust-Goudeau
Phone:  785-296-7387
E-mail:  Oletha.Faust-Goudeau@senate.ks.gov

Senator Tom Holland
Phone:  785-296-7372
E-mail:  Tom.Holland@senate.ks.gov

Senator Mitch Holmes
Phone:  785-296-7667
E-mail:  Mitch.Holmes@senate.ks.gov

Senator Jacob LaTurner
Phone:  785-296-7370
E-mail:  Jacob.LaTurner@senate.ks.gov

Senator Jeff Longbine
Phone:  785-296-7384
E-mail:  Jeff.Longbine@senate.ks.gov

Senator Robert Olson:
Phone:  785-296-7358
E-mail:  Robert.Olson@senate.ks.gov

Senator Caryn Tyson
Phone:  785-296-6838
E-mail:  Caryn.Tyson@senate.ks.gov

SB 21 is a Right-to-Carry reform that would make a number of important changes.  The most substantial change would allow for universal recognition of non-resident carry permits.  In other words, any law-abiding visitor from out-of-state with a valid state-issued carry permit would be allowed to carry a concealed handgun in Kansas.  This change would not only benefit concealed carry permit holders in other states, but it will also make it more likely that other states will recognize Kansas’ carry permit.

Also, if enacted, SB 21 would allow new Kansas residents who hold a valid concealed carry permit from their previous state of residence to be able to instantly apply for a Kansas permit instead of waiting to acquire their official Kansas resident status.   New residents would be granted a temporary “180-day receipt,” to carry on their old permit while their application is considered and processed.  The state Attorney General would also be able to create a list of states which meet or exceed Kansas’ requirements and that would automatically qualify for recognition for issuance of a Kansas permit.