As we reported earlier this week, the Mississippi House of Representatives passed Senate Bill 2425, NRA-backed legislation sponsored by state Senator Philip Moran (R-Hancock, Harrison Counties), by a 102 to 16 vote. SB 2425 creates a tax-free weekend in the Magnolia State during September for individual sales of firearms, ammunition, archery equipment and certain hunting supplies. On Thursday, the Senate concurred with the House amendments to SB 2425 and it now goes to Governor Phil Bryant (R) for his expected signature.
On Wednesday, the House concurred with the Senate amendments to House Bill 314, which makes critical reforms to the state's firearms preemption and emergency powers laws, by a 103 to 18 vote. HB 314 will now be sent to Governor Bryant for his expected signature. A copy of NRA-ILA's press release commending state lawmakers on final passage of this comprehensive measure can be found here.
As amended, HB 314, sponsored by state Representative Andy Gipson (R-Rankin, Simpson and Smith Counties), would do the following:
- Expand protections against the confiscation of legally-possessed firearms during a state of emergency or natural disaster
- Preserve the rights of residents of public housing to lawfully own and possess firearms
- Clarify limits on the authority of municipalities and counties to restrict the carrying of firearms
- Establish remedies for citizens who are adversely impacted by local ordinances enacted outside the scope of this authority
- Prohibit the destruction of firearms acquired by local governments as a result of taxpayer-funded gun “buybacks”
Thanks for your calls and e-mails supporting these two bills during this legislative session. Please send a message of thanks to the key state lawmakers below who played critical roles in the passage of this legislation. Your e-mail or message subject line should read, "Thank You on Bill #" to be received properly.
House Bill 314:
Representative Andy Gipson (HB 314 Sponsor)
Representative Philip Gunn (House Speaker)
Representative Greg Snowden (House Speaker Pro Tempore)
Senator Briggs Hopson (Chairman of Senate Judiciary A Committee)
Senator Sean Tindell (Member of Senate Judiciary A Committee who handled bill on Senate floor)
Senate Bill 2425:
Senator Philip Moran (SB 2425 Sponsor)
Lt. Governor Tate Reeves
Senator Giles Ward (Chairman of Senate Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks Committee)
Senator Joey Fillingane (Chairman of Senate Finance Committee)
Representative Jeff Smith (Chairman of House Ways & Means Committee who handled bill on House floor)