Tomorrow, November 13, the state House Policy and Legislative Oversight Committee will hear opposition testimony to House Bill 203, a measure that seeks to make common sense improvements to Ohio’s current concealed carry and self-defense laws.
Sponsored by state Representative Terry Johnson (R-90), HB 203 would make the following important changes to Ohio’s current firearm laws:
- Strengthens the existing criminal background check process to obtain an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) by requiring all CHL applicants to undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) compliant background check. This improvement is a necessary step in allowing Ohio CHL holders to qualify for a NICS exemption when purchasing a firearm.
- Establishes an automatic reciprocity system.
- Eliminates the twelve-hour minimum training requirement to obtain a competency certificate required to apply for a CHL.
- Applies the same federal disqualifiers for the possession and purchase of a firearm to applicants for a CHL.
- Establishes a non-resident application process to obtain a CHL.
- Modifies the state's self-defense law. Under current law, a person has no duty to retreat before using deadly force if that person is in their own home or automobile. This legislation would expand that to any place a person has a lawful right to be.
To view the committee meeting announcement, click here. Please call AND e-mail members of the state House Policy and Legislative Committee and urge them to support HB 203. Their contact information is provided below.
House Policy and Legislative Oversight Committee:
Representative Mike Dovilla (R-07), Chairman
Representative Jim Buchy (R-84), Vice Chairman
Representative Ronald V. Gerberry (D-59), Ranking Minority
Representative John Adams (R-85)
Representative Louis W. Blessing III (R-29)
Representative Andrew Brenner (R-67)
Representative Jack Cera (D-96)
Representative Kathleen Clyde (D-75)
Representative Michael F. Curtin (D-17)
Representative Teresa Fedor (D-45)
Representative Matt Huffman (R-04)
Representative Dorothy Pelanda (R-86)
Representative Rick Perales (R-73)