It is unlawful to carry a handgun on or about one’s person or in any vehicle or conveyance without a license to carry. READ ALL
Exceptions to this prohibition are:
• A person in his dwelling house, place of business, or on land possessed by him.
• A person licensed to carry in another state, provided he is merely transporting the weapon through the state with no intent to detain himself or remain within Rhode Island.
• Law enforcement personnel.
• Military personnel when on duty.
• Members of organizations authorized to purchase firearms from the U.S. provided they are at or going to or from their places of assembly or target practice.
• A person carrying a handgun unloaded and securely wrapped from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or in moving goods from one's place of abode or business to another.
• A person who is transporting a handgun from his home or place of business to a "bona fide target practice range" and back, provided the handgun is broken down, unloaded, and carried openly, or is unloaded and secured in a separate container.
To obtain a license to carry, an applicant must be twenty one years of age, be a resident of the town where he is applying, or having a bona fide residence within the U.S. and a license or permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state or unit of local government, and have a good reason to fear an injury to his person or property or have "any other proper reason for carrying" a handgun, and be "a suitable person to be so licensed."
He must apply to the licensing authorities in his community and must qualify on a certified range by satisfactorily completing a series of target shots. The qualifying test is outlined in state law and is designed to ensure that the licensee is proficient with his firearm.
The attorney general may issue the license if the applicant meets the criteria outlined above, qualifies on the shooting test, and upon a proper showing of need.
A license shall be valid for 4 years, costs $40.00 and shall contain the licensee’s name, address, description, fingerprint, photograph, signature, and reason for desiring the license. It shall not contain the serial number of the firearm.HIDE