Handgun means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length or any firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. READ ALL
To purchase, receive, or sell a handgun, a certificate is required, (includes private sales) unless:
- The transferee is a federally licensed firearms dealer;
- It is an antique handgun;
- The transfer is to a law enforcement agency;
- It is a temporary transfer and the transferee remains
- in the line of sight of the transferor or
- (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or
- The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.
Application for the certificate may be made in person or by mail with the sheriff or police chief of the applicant's place of residence. A background check is conducted within 2 days. A fee of $5.00 shall be charged for a criminal history record check. Upon receipt of the application, the chief of police or sheriff shall, within 2 days, issue the certificate or furnish the applicant the specific reasons for the denial in writing.
A certificate shall be issued if the applicant is 21 or older and is not prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a handgun. The certificate is valid throughout the state for 3 years to purchase any number of handguns. No civil liability shall arise to any law enforcement agency that complies with the statute.
Any person denied a certificate, whose certificate is revoked, or who has not been issued a certificate upon expiration of the two-day period may appeal within 10 days of receipt of the denial or revocation to the county court of the applicant's place of residence. The applicant shall file with the court the specific reasons for the denial or revocation by the chief of police or sheriff and a filing fee of $10.00 in lieu of any other filing fee required by law. The court shall issue its decision within 30 days of the filing of the appeal.
No federally licensed firearms importer, manufacturer, or dealer shall sell or deliver any handgun to another person, other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector, until he has inspected a valid certificate issued to such person and inspected a valid identification containing a photograph of such person; or obtained a completed consent form from the potential buyer or transferee (which form shall be established by the Nebraska State Patrol and provided by the licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer), and inspected a valid identification containing a photograph of such person, and requested by means of a toll-free telephone call that the Nebraska State Patrol conduct a criminal history record check, and have received from the Nebraska State Patrol a unique approval number for such inquiry indicating the date and number on the consent form.
The fee for the instant check is $3.00. The instant check may be used in place of the certificate. Exempt from the instant check are importers, manufacturers, collectors, and dealers.
It is unlawful for a person under 18 years of age to possess a handgun. This prohibition does not apply to a juvenile in the armed forces or the temporary loan of a handgun for instruction under the immediate supervision of a parent or guardian or adult instructor.
It is unlawful to knowingly and intentionally sell, loan, or in any other way transfer the possession of a firearm to a person under 18 years of age or to attempt to do so. This prohibition does not apply to the transfer of a firearm, other than a handgun:
- from a relative within the second degree of consanguinity (usually this describes a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle of the child) or affinity (marriage) if the transfer of physical possession of the firearm does not occur until express permission has been obtained from the juvenile’s parent or guardian;
- for a legitimate and lawful shooting purpose; or
- to a juvenile who is under direct adult supervision in an appropriate educational program.
This prohibition also does not apply to the transfer of a handgun to a juvenile in the armed forces; or the temporary loan of a handgun for instruction under the immediate supervision of a parent or guardian or adult instructor.HIDE